Resolution of the International Doctoral School Governing Board, of 28 July, 2020, which regulates the procedure for obtaining the Industrial Doctorate Mention.
The Industrial PhD Mention can be requested by those students who meet the following requirements:
- The ones established in art. 15Bis of the Royal Decree 99/2011, which regulates official doctoral teachings (modified by the Royal Decree 195/2016, of 13 May, by the Royal Decree 43/2015, of 2 February, and by the Royal Decree 534/2013 of 12 of July):
- The “Industrial PhD” mention will be given under the following conditions:
- a. The existence of an employment or commercial contact with the doctoral student. The contract can be made by a private or a public company or by the Public Administration.
- b. The doctoral student must participate in a project of industrial research or of experimental development carried out in the company or in the Public Administration where he/she is working, which cannot be a University. The project of industrial research or of experimental development in which the doctoral student participates must be directly related to the thesis that he/she is carrying out. Such direct relation will be certified through a report that must be approved by the University.
- If the project of industrial research or of experimental development is carried out through a collaboration between the University and the company or Public Administration in which the doctoral student is working, a framework collaboration agreement will be signed by the parties. In this agreement, the obligations of the University and of the company or Public Administration will be specified, as well as the procedure for the selection of the doctoral students.
- The doctoral student will have a tutor for the thesis assigned by the University and a person in charge assigned by the company or the Public Administration who can be, where appropriate, the thesis Supervisor in compliance with the specific regulation of the Doctoral Programme.
- The ones established, in general, by the admission to the defence of the doctoral thesis in the governing regulation on doctoral studies of UCAM.
- To have had an employment or commercial contract with the company during at least 6 months. These six months will be included in the period of time that goes from the first registration of the doctoral student to the admission of the doctoral thesis.
The doctoral student will request the concession of the Industrial PhD Mention at the moment of the admission of the doctoral thesis.
He/she will have to submit, apart from the documents requested in any case, the following documents:
- a. Accreditation request of the Industrial PhD Mention in the official form.
- b. A copy of the employment or commercial contract with the hiring company or with a Public Administration or the employment report of the doctoral student, certifying his/her link to the company during a period of at least six months, which must be included in the period of time from the first registration of the doctoral student to the admission of the doctoral thesis.
- c. A report describing the activities carried out in the project of research or experimental development in which the doctoral student participated and that certifies the direct relation with his/her thesis. This document must be signed by the doctoral student, the person in charge appointed by the company (or Public Administration), the tutor for the thesis, the thesis supervisor(s)/co-supervisors, and the coordinator of the academic commission of the doctoral programme.
The person in charge appointed by the company cannot be a prior assessor nor can he/she be included in the board that judges that doctoral thesis, even though he/she complies with the requirements established for such functions.